Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Because School Library Journal Told Me To!

So why am I starting this blog?  Probably because of a recent article in the School Library Journal entitled "Hang in There."  It speaks about many ways you can market yourself as a fledgling librarian, in order to get a job.  Honestly, I thought I had all of that covered.  Awesome resume?  Check.  Dazzling website and online portfolio?  Check.  Power suit?  Check.

Well, it turns out that I was very wrong.  I had a lot to learn from that article, one idea of which really stuck with me.  The article suggested that I start a blog.


Frankly, I couldn't figure out why anyone would want to listen to something I had to say.  I JUST graduated with my Masters in Library Science in December.  I've never worked in a library before.  Never.  Ok, well I temped once for 6 months in a corporate library, but frankly, I don't think that counts.  I've never been paid to check out books or shelf or catalog.  I've only done reference as part of my coursework.  Sure I have opinions and ideas, but they're all based on idealism and conjecture.  So who would want to listen to that?

Well, apparently, future employers want to hear what I have to say.  They want to know what my ideas are and what I would want to do to improve systems.  Well, then here goes.  Welcome to my blog where I give myself free license to say what I think on any number of topics involved in librarianship.  Please comment to your hearts' content.  I want to hear what you have to say as well.  Carpe diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lead to the Normal

We need to normalize mistakes and bad hair days. Not knowing the answer to questions even though we are library workers. We need to normal...